Why Is Good Oral Hygiene Important?
Looking after your teeth and gums and keeping them clean has a lot of benefits. It helps to prevent bad breath, tooth decay and gum disease, as well as more serious medical disorders.
If you brush your teeth regularly then it stops plaque from building up, which can cause infections such as gingivitis and periodontitis. It also helps to prevent staining of the teeth from common food and drinks, including tea, coffee and red wine.
Oral Hygiene Procedures at Burgess & Hyder Dental Group
At Burgess & Hyder Dental Group, oral hygiene is provided as an NHS service if recommended by the dentist. This would involve a deep clean of your teeth, known as a scale and polish, which includes:
- First, plaque and tartar is removed from on and between the teeth.
- Then the teeth will be polished to smooth any minor imperfections and rough areas as a further protection against plaque formation.
- Once done you’ll leave feeling sparkly clean!
How to Maintain Good Oral Hygiene
The following steps can help keep your mouth healthy:
- Brush teeth twice daily and floss everyday.
- Avoid smoking.
- Use fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Limit intake of sugary snacks and eat a healthy diet.
- Visit your dentist regularly for exams and cleaning.