Prevent Tooth Decay From Day One
At Burgess & Hyder Dental Group, we are passionate about children’s dental care and helping to keep your child’s teeth healthy and pain-free. Sadly, 25% of children under 5 in England have already experienced tooth decay. This can be painful and cause infections which result in sleepless nights and missed school days. We’re here to provide your child with the dental care they deserve.
Why Is Children’s Dental Care Important?
As soon as your child has their first milk teeth you can book them in for their first dental exam. This is usually between the age of one and two years old and bringing them for a checkup at this time will help them to get used to visiting the dentist from a young age.
At Burgess & Hyder Dental Group, our highly trained staff are here to make you and your child feel comfortable and at ease during any procedures. In these appointments we can:
- Monitor the health of your child’s teeth and look out for any early signs of decay.
- Remove buildup of plaque and provide an overall clean.
- Share tips and guidance on taking care of their teeth.
How To Look After Your Child’s Teeth
For infants who don’t yet have teeth, a good practice is to wipe the gums twice a day using a soft cloth. This will remove any bacteria and sugars that can lead to tooth decay. Once your child does have teeth, the following practices will help to keep them healthy:
- Brush teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. After the age of 7 they should be able to start brushing themselves.
- Limit sugar intake and encourage them to drink water rather than fizzy drinks or fruit juice as much as possible.
- A mirror may assist your child with successful teeth brushing as it helps them to see exactly where to clean easier.
- Encourage them to spit out toothpaste after cleaning rather than rinsing in order to help the fluoride to work best.